Friday, March 17, 2017

GDC 2017: Setting My Hand on Fire

I've been doing wacky things for my birthday for a few years now.  I re-enacted a scene from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (on my 42nd, of course).  I jumped out of an airplane.  I donated to charities.

You know, weird stuff.  Also things I've always wanted to do.

A few years ago I went to Hawaii and attended a luau.  One of the entertainers was a fire-knife dancer from Samoa who set himself on fire.  On purpose.  Part of his act was to set his palm on fire and try to get people to shake his hand.
"Hi, my names Joe. Pleased to m- AAIAIAIAIEEE!"
I assumed he was covered in some kind of flammable, protective gel and wanted some for myself. Sadly, I couldn't find it (and the government of Samoa stopped answering my calls).  Then, one day, I noticed Oded Sharon's Facebook picture had him setting fire to his hand.

You know Oded, right?  Oh, come on, everyone knows Oded Sharon.  He's a game designer.  He's the King of Parties (or, perhaps, Prince Regent of Parties) at the Game Developer's Conference.  The most important thing is that he can set parts of his body on fire!
You know, this guy!
I messaged him:  How do you do that?  Is there a gel I can buy?
Oded: Are you going to be at GDC?  I can teach you if you'd like.
Me: EEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Oded: Is that yes?
Me:  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Oded: Are you okay?
Me: EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee.  Okay, I think I'm better.  Nope.  EEEEEEEEE!!!

He told me what equipment to buy (I had to something called a "bucket").  Then he came over and...  Well...


And, here's one with me setting my hand on fire and then lighting a candle with it.


Not sure what I'm going to do for my birthday now.  Something even more crazy.  Like... Cake.

Next week: Stealing something from the head of the International Game Developer's Association, because there's nothing she possesses that I can not take away from her.

No comments: