Friday, March 10, 2017

GDC 2017: Booth Babe Report

Two years ago, I got a call while I was on vacation from a writer for the San Jose Chronicle.  She was doing an article on the treatment of women spokes-models at game development events and saw I did an annual blog post.  

I told her that, unlike the E3 Expo, the GDC had slowly become more welcoming towards women, and the numbers of women in degrading outfits had diminished to nothing.  Sexism was (practically) a thing of the past.

I didn't get into her article.

Last year, I told this story to a woman at a conference.  

Her response:   "Half an hour ago a guy grabbed me and tried to massage my shoulders without permission."

Me: "Right there?  In front of everyone?!"

She nodded.  I guess it isn't over.  Therefore my annual report isn't over.

I will say it is much harder to find costumed (revealing or not) women at the show.  I almost gave up looking, as the only one I could find was Mini-T:

The sad thing: he had better hair than me.
Then, on the last day, I came across two women dressed as fairies.  Here is the actual conversation we had as the pictures were being taken.

Me: I'm going to look like an idiot being very happy to be standing with you, and I'd like you to look disgusted by being next to me.  Then I'll post it on my blog, if that's okay.

Blue Fairy: Awesome.  I'm so tired of smiling.

Green Fairy: Wait, what?

Photographer:

Green Fairy: Sorry, I didn't do that right.  So you want me to...

Me: It's okay.  Just look disgusted.  Pretend I'm-

Photographer:

Green fairy: This is so hard!

Me: Women don't usually have this much trouble showing me their disgust.

Green fairy:  No.  I got it.  I got it.

Me: Okay.  One last time.  My face is starting to hurt.

Photographer:

Passerby (showing the proper level of disgust): Hitting on the booth babes.

Photographer: No, he's always like that.

Me: I am never doing this again.  I will, however, set my hand on fire.

More on that, next week.

No comments: