Friday, July 29, 2016

Stupid Interview Questions


When you go into an interview, you expect stupid questions:

  • Are you willing to work long hours?
  • Are you okay with getting feedback?
  • Do you steal office supplies?
  • Why are you threatening me with a letter opener?
  • How much do I have to pay you to let me go?
And on and on.

Of all my interviews, however, there were two that stood out from the rest.  Here they are (with my responses):

Q: If you were a breakfast cereal, what kind would you be and why?

A:  Lucky Charms.  Because there's good stuff (the marshmallows) and bad stuff (the cereal).  If you pour milk in, the good stuff floats to the top.

Note: I hadn't had much exposure to breakfast cereals until college and was unprepared for the sudden availability: Fruit Loops, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.  They were all lined up in little machines that dispensed them with a few turns of a knob.  For the first six weeks of my freshman year, I constantly trembled from the sugar rush.

I was rather impressed by how quickly and confidently I came out with this one.  The interviewer even said it was the most creative answer they'd ever had.

Didn't hire me.

Q: If you were a fruit, what kind would you be and why?

A: A pomegranate.  Because they're smooth and perfect on the outside but inside they're complicated and difficult to break apart.

Note: I stumbled over this one.  I said pomegranate immediately, but couldn't get my thoughts together enough to explain why.  It came out eventually, but not with the quick confidence of my earlier answer.  Still, it was a great answer.

Didn't hire me either.

No comments: