Actually, wait, I can't figure out why anything is funny. Hence this blog.
Exercise 1: Rewrite one liners.
I found a website with one liners. Let's see what I can do with them (mine are in bold).
- One morning I shot an elephant in my pants. How he got in my pants, I'll never know.
I'd love to get into her pants. Just not while she's in them.
- Ninety-nine percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
I don't hate all your friends, just the ones I've met.
- Take my advice. I'm not using it.
I'd be glad to hear your thoughts, as soon as you start thinking.
- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I just had to sell it to pay the rent.
- Treat every day as if it will be your last. One day, you'll be right.
I'm not morbid. I'm finality-inclined.
Exercise 2: Write one liners about things you know about.
- You know what I liked best about my career as a technical writer? No, seriously, does anyone know? I have no idea.
- Making a video game is like baking a cake (if you got in the oven with it).
- Silicon Valley has some of the best parents in the country. We hire them to care for our children.
- Writing isn't hard. Putting your computer back together after you threw it against the wall is hard.
- I'm not avoiding you. I just happen to be boarding up my doors and windows on the days you drop by.
Exercise 3: Write one liners about things you know nothing about.
- Astronauts are just like normal people, if normal people could keep from screaming whenever they're shot into space.
- It's not hard being a woman. You just have to meet the expectations of every man on Earth.
- Just got my contract with Pandora! I only have to pay them ten cents when they play my songs.
- Only the bravest charge into battle. Everyone else makes it back alive.
- The crystal ball sees success in your future. Did I say success? Wrong word. Failure. I meant to say crushing failure.
That wasn't too hard. I think I'm used to short humor, as I post it on my twitter feed (@makagle).
This may be the most useful lesson so far. I created this blog to come up with ways of adding humor to my writing. Maybe I should just throw in one liners here and there.