Thursday, February 13, 2014

I Need Your Help





This is a call for help.  I need to find an old family friend.  Okay, it's an ice cream truck, but not just any old ice cream truck.

For years, when my children would leave school, the ice cream truck would be there waiting, playing its music.  I don't know the name of the song, but I always thought it sounded like:
Trick or treat,
Smell my feet,
Give me something good to eat!
My children would beg, and I would often give in.  Eventually, I created a rule: we'd only go once a week.  My youngest would always get a giant popsicle big enough to make it hard for him to hold.  My oldest would carefully size up all the options, looking for the treat that was largest.

The guy always gave me something for free for being such a swell dad (or something): an ice cream bar or a popsicle I'd stick in the freezer to bribe one of the kids with later.

Time passed and we came to expect him to always be there.  We'd talk while the kids chose.  I asked about the music he played to attract children; turns out he could play all kinds of songs.  Eventually, he saved up enough money to buy a new, Mercedes ice cream truck.

Then, over a year ago, he disappeared.  Days, weeks, months went by and no truck at our school.  I tried to think back to anything he said that might tell me where he went.  Once, he told me he made more money at other schools and parks; had he gone somewhere else?  A parent had complained to me that he took up parking spaces and distracted her kids; had she chased him off?

Sometimes I'd hear his music play in the distance.  A few times, I got in my car and tried to follow the sound, but never found him.  A few months ago, terribly late to an appointment, we saw him driving by.  My children begged me to follow and burst into tears when I didn't.

That was the last time I saw him.

I've decided to try and track him down.  I want to get his cell number (he was often on the phone) so I can ask him where he is when we need him.  It's not going to be easy to find, though.  I only have this clue:

His complete phone number, address, and business name.

Yeah, you'd think that would be enough.  However, I've called the number twice and, after I ask if this is the number for the ice cream truck guy, someone says "no" and hangs up.  I've tried searching for "David Ice Cream," but there is none listed.  I searched on the address and found something called "Me Ice Cream" in San Jose.  It seems to correspond to this sign.
I'm not sure what to do next.  Go out to San Jose to bang on the door?  Drive aimlessly around until I find him?  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.


And if you see his truck, ram it off the road and get his number for me!

No comments: