Monday, July 15, 2013

Who the F- Am I?

A long time ago, someone lent me a Howard Stern video where he brought in a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.  He held up a bumper sticker that said “9 out of 10 Niggers are Infected with AIDS.”  After I calmed down, I realized that, even if I could meet this guy, nothing I said would make a dent in his shield of ignorance.
They even called him "KKK GUY."
Many years have passed.

I try not to attack people on Facebook.  I’ll attack their ideas, but not them personally.  It’s inherently cowardly to attacking someone over the safety and anonymity of the internet.  It’s also unfair to judge a person from the few sentences they write online.

Last week, however, I was so horrified by something someone said I turned into a blithering idiot.  Even more so than normal!

On a friend’s wall, someone I’ll call Aubrea (because it’s her real name, believe it or not) said it was okay for the Texas legislature toconfiscate tampons from women attending an abortion vote, because the women might throw them at people.  She explained that liberal women are sluts, and some of them were undoubtedly going to have STDs.  If they threw tainted tampons at the legislators, they would get infected.

After I sputtered for an hour or so, which I do after I encounter something shocking, I started marshaling my arguments for a well-researched counterattack.  I found studies that showed liberal and conservative women have just as many sexual partners.  I found others that showed conservative women use contraception less often.  The resulting argument was that conservative women had more cooties than liberal women.

Then I heard a little voice in my head: who the fuck are you?
 

If you've seen this movie, you know what I mean.


 
Who the fuck am I to talk about women’s sexual habits and STDs?  Am I a doctor?  Do I work at the CDC?

What right did I (or anyone on Facebook) have to even get involved in a discussion like that?  How was I any better than the KKK guy from Howard Stern?

I deleted my post and unfriended the guy who knew her.  Why would I be connected to someone who was friends with a woman who not only reduced women to their roles in sex and childbearing, but drew me into those arguments?  Your friends help define who you are.  Which means, their friends define you, too.

Tomorrow I’m posting an old article called Idiot Lives I once put aside because I thought it was too mean.  You know what?  I don’t think it’s too mean, anymore because there are people like Aubrea out there.

You can see it tomorrow.

No comments: