Monday, July 29, 2013

Eldritch Binding

When I travel, I always forget something.  Usually, it's something unimportant like razor blades or underwear.  There was this one time I forgot my spleen...

Anyway, this last vacation I was going to a wedding and forgot my tie.  And my dress shirt.  And my brush.  And my sunglasses.  And my children.  The important thing, however, is that I forgot my tie.  I found myself at the Men's Wearhouse looking for a replacement tie, and shirt, and brush, and children and...

Anyway, the salesman handed me this dark blue one with red dots.  It changed to light blue at the end, and he explained it was for something called an "eldritch knot," so you get a two color effect.  I quickly looked up Eldritch and found it meant "strange, ghostly, unworldly," so I thought I'd look like this:
"Like my tie, baby?"
"FUCK YEAH!" I yelled, and took it home.  There were two problems:
  1. It wasn't an "eldritch knot" it was an "eldredge knot."
  2. I can't tie a tie to save my life.
Back in college, I was in choir for a few years (looooong story), and had to wear a tie for every performance.  While my tie tying skills improved, let's just say they didn't put me in the back of the risers because I'm tall.

Anyway, I found this YouTube video on how to tie an eldredge knot and got to work.


This is what I ended up with:
 

Not exactly the Eldritch Wizardry (inside joke) I had been hoping for.  Luckily, I found another video that was better:

And I ended up with:
Which was a little more eldritch than eldredge.  I tried one more time and got:


Which isn't perfect, but is much better than my usual results.  And, hey, it's worth it to look this good:

No comments: