Thursday, July 11, 2013

Asiana Crash Part 4

"We're not going to make it in time," I say.
"We have to try," my wife says.

We towel off and rush out of the pool room.  Dripping wet, we charge past the banks of air conditioning vents that try to freeze us in place.  Up the elevator, into our room.
Feels kinda like this.

Less than twenty minutes to go.  They're probably already boarding the plane. 

"We're not going to make it in time," I say.
"We have to try," my wife says.

I grab all the wet clothes and throw them in a bag.  My wife throws everything else into our backpacks as the kids change.  We charge out of the room.

"Can we get Sheepy?" my son asks.
"I'm sorry," I say.

Another five minutes gone.

"We're not going to make it in time," I say.
"We have to try," my wife says.

Down the elevator.  Through the tunnels.  Up two escalators.  Wrong terminal.  Outside between terminals.

"Sheepy, Sheepy," my son cries quietly to himself as I carry him, running.

We get to security.  There's a really long line.

"We're not going to make it in time," I say.
"We have to try," my wife says.

I explain to the woman at the American Airlines First Class line (that bypasses the wait for security) what happened.  She lets us go through.  The TSA agent says "You came out?" but gives us the special, shorter line.

I rip off my shoes, belt, cell phone, other cell just for games, laptop, and backpack, and put them all on the conveyor belt.  I realize that the one thing America's air travelers need is a utility belt.  You know, like the kind Batman has.  You could put all of your keys and electronics in this belt and then take it off when you get to security. It'd save a lot of time.  Alternatively, we could all fly naked.
We hurry through the metal detector and I'm pulled aside for a special check to see if I've been making chemical weapons, lately.  I grumble as he runs strips of paper over my hands and, surprise, they find nothing.  My evil plans have worked.  Muhahahaha.

The plane is scheduled to leave right now.

"We're not going to make it in time," I say.
"We have to try," my wife says.

I'm able to run faster than any of them (thank you, personal trainer Daniel).  I leave the rest of them behind and run over to the gate by myself.  I'm not sure what I can do, but I might be able to stop Virgin from closing the doors long enough for my family to catch up.  I get to the gate...

...And the plane is gone.  I walk over the guys who are standing at the desk.

"Still no news," they tell me.  "We'll let you know when we know anything."

Turns out they push the planes away from the gates when they aren't planning to leave anytime soon.

My family arrives and we all collapse on chairs.  There's plenty of seats now, as everyone has either moved to another flight or gotten a hotel room.

"Go back to the room?" I say.
"We're staying here," my wife says.

No comments: