Friday, June 7, 2013

How to Make Money Self-Publishing

You may not have heard, but I self-published this novel called Pinhole a few months back.  (I know, shocking, right?)  The reason you don’t know about it) is because of the words “self-publish.”  See, self-publishing works different from traditional publishing.

Traditional publishing:
  1. Write novel.
  2. Send to publisher.
  3. Wait six to eight months.
  4. Repeat step 2 six times.
  5. Get screwed over on contract.
  6. Publisher pays someone to make a cover.
  7. Publisher pays someone to edit for errors.
  8. Publisher does marketing blitz.
  9. Sell tons of books.
  10. Make lots of money, minus marketing costs, cover artist costs, and editor costs.
  11. End up with a quarter.
Self-publishing:
  1. Write novel.
  2. Pay someone to make a cover.
  3. Pay someone to check for errors.
  4. Upload to Amazon.
  5. Do own marketing.
  6. Sell three books.
  7. Amazon takes 2/3rds profit.
  8. End up with a quarter.
See, there’s really only one difference: when you self-publish, you have to market your book yourself.  How do you do that?  I’m glad you asked:
  1. Go to the Indie Reviewers List.
  2. Email everyone on the list and ask him or her to review your book.
  3. Wait six to eight months.
I noticed something funny about sites that write reviews.  If you go to their “review policy” page, they always say “Reviews are free!”  So, I had this idea.  Why would you post a review on a free site?  Free means nothing, right?  Here’s my proposal:
  1. Submit your novel to me.
  2. I’ll read it and write a review on my blog.
  3. You pay me $1500.
Hey, I have to make back the money on the editor and cover designer SOMEhow!

No comments: