Thursday, May 30, 2013

Called to Duty


Here's my snarky story of the day:

As a man with three conflicting faiths (Judaism, Atheism, Prometheus), I have some odd views on religion.  I don't believe, but sometimes I think "Well, okay, maybe there is a God."

This past Sunday was one of those times.  We were visiting Knott's Berry Farm, an amusement park I had last visited when I was a child.  It's a cute, old west-themed place with lots of rides and shows but low-key in comparison to Disneyland.

One thing that bothered me were the lines.  It was Memorial Day weekend, and the place was packed.  The other thing that bothered me were the wrist bands people bought ($25) to skip ahead in line.  If you hadn't bought one, you'd stand and wait for an hour to get on a two minute roller coaster while those with the bands just walked right on.

My youngest was thrilled about roller coasters, but was only tall enough to go on one.  He's not a patient child, but he was happy to wait forty five minutes to get on.  My son wanted to sit in the front of the first car but, just as we arrived at the front of the line, a man and a woman with those wrist bands stepped in front of us and got those seats.

They were wearing these shirts:


Not as much fun as the real Call of Duty, but the achievements are easier to unlock.
Okay, so they're Christians who use their wealth to get special treatment?  Yeah, Jesus would have loved that!

We sat behind them, and the woman operating the ride helped us push the safety bars down on our legs.  There was a problem, though.  The bars weren't far down enough in our car.  She kept coming back and pushing them down harder and harder until my son started crying because it hurt.

Finally, she told the couple that they were too fat, and they left.  My son and I were allowed to get in the front of the car, and he had a fabulous time.

So, there may be no God, but still there's still divine justice.

No comments: