Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Baby Is All Growed Up

This is my book on the shelf of the Books Inc. bookstore in Mountain View, California.

 


Until a month ago, the only people who ever saw my writing bought Oracle Power Objects or Star Trek: Bridge Commander.  Now they’re buying it online and in real, brick and mortar stores.

Well, not really.  There’s no brick in California.  Earthquakes make brick buildings into deathtraps.

The point is, my book is in my local store (and yours isn’t).  Turns out it’s pretty easy to get your book into a bookstore.  You just ask and go in.  If that’s what publishers do, I might take up a career in publishing.

Earlier this week, I spoke with a librarian about getting it in my local library.  It seems it’s harder to get your book into a library than to get it into a bookstore.  The librarian is actually going to read it.  Go figure.  If he likes it, they’ll put it on the shelf, so I guess that’s the end of that.

Anyway, forget work accomplishments.  Forget marriage and babies.  Forget your bucket list.  Forget serving your country.  This is where you get a real sense of accomplishment.

Note: A friend went to the bookstore to buy a copy.  They told her they were sold out.  In a euphoric adrenaline rush, I called the store.  Did I have a hit on my hands?  Was the cover so dazzling it had been snatched up?

Nope.  Computer glitch.  All three copies are still there.

*sigh*

No comments: