Tuesday, March 12, 2013

43rd Birthday Preparations: Part 2

Quick precis: Birthday coming.  Want to go on a quest.  Still waiting on people to offer me things to do.  Link.

I'm working on getting my shield ready.  I already bought one, but it's blank.  You can't just go into battle with a blank shield!  That's like publishing a blank book.
Have at ye, dragon!  No, I just haven't painted it yet.  I'll get around to-  ARRGGHH!
The problem is, what do I put on it?  Some traditions have the shield be a combination of previous coats of arms in your family.
It can get complicated.
 The problem is:
  1. My predecessors didn't have coats of arms.
  2. Er.  Well, that's pretty much it.
So I have to come up with something myself.  What, though?  I spent some time looking into heraldry and decided I like all the animals on people's shields.  I decided I would try a coat of arms based on all of the pets I've had.
Yeah, I don't think so.
 The main problems with this approach are:
  1. I can't draw or paint worth a damn and I'd have to paint it myself.
  2. See #1.

Then I remembered I have children, which was a bit of a surprise to me.  Don't kids count more than pets?  (Don't answer that.)  So I put together another coat of arms based on my children's current tastes.
I can't see anyone being struck with fear at the approach of the B&O.
 The problems are:
  1. I was hoping to keep the coat of arms for a while.  What happens if they get bored of science and trains?
  2. There is no #2.
I'll have to put a little more work into it.  Next week I'll narrow something down.  Honest!

No comments: