Thursday, October 18, 2012

Salt and Pepper

My son comes home from preschool with a number of odd things in his backpack: pictures made entirely of popsicle sticks, aquarium gravel painted gold, other children's clothes, and seeds.  The seeds are the most difficult to deal with since my son insists on germinating and planting them instead of throwing them away.

We now have a half dozen small plants growing in a box on our front lawn.  The bugs and snails found them and the leaves are in tatters.  I sprayed the plants down with copper sulfate, but that didn't stop the snails.

Now, I have no grudge against snails.  They just want to live and, yucky as they are, it doesn't seem fair to kill them.  I'd love to figure out some way to encourage snail-eating birds to visit, but, until then, I'll just tiptoe around the herds of them who live on my front walk.  My son's plants were worth protecting, however, so we grabbed the salt shaker and, as I explained how much snails hate salt, sprinkled the grass around the plant box.

My son was ecstatic.

Later that day, I noticed our salt and pepper shakers were empty.  I went outside and sneezed.  Everyone passing by our house was sneezing.  The birds flying overhead were sneezing.  Our yard was covered in tiny white and black sprinkles.

When I wasn't paying attention, my son had gone a little crazy with the salt and pepper shakers.