Creative Commons License
This work by Matthew Kagle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jedi Fashion

Rewatching the Star Wars Trilogy with my children (and I insist it's only a trilogy), I was reminded of something cool I noticed with Luke Skywalker's outfits.  In Star Wars, he wears white.
To get the full effect, pinch your nose and say "I wanted to go to Tachi station to get new power converters!"
In Empire Strikes Back, he three outfits, all of which are grey.
The outfit on the right is the one he wore when he visited The Muppet Show.
In Return of the Jedi, Luke wears a black outfit that looks a lot like Darth Vader's costume.
"Luke, I am your father....'s tailor!"
Then, about a minute after he rejects the dark side and becomes a Jedi, a flap falls open on his shirt.
I guess watching your father die would be upsetting enough you'd forget to button your shirt up.
The grey flap stays noticeably open for the rest of the movie.  I don't have a joke here.  I just think it's impressive how the costume designers conveyed Luke's journey to the dark side and back through his clothes.

Another thing I want to point out is something I noticed when I watched Babylon 5 (which, along with Star Wars and Star Trek forms the holy trinity of dramatic science fiction).  Halfway through the series, the main characters all get new uniforms.
I'd pay good money to see Ivanova choke young Anakin to death.
Hm.  A black uniform with a grey flap in a very familiar place.  Did the bridge officers all just become Jedi?  If so, what's the policy for using a lightsaber on an Earthforce vessel?

No comments: