Monday, October 1, 2012

And the Winner Is...

After a nail-biting week (Picking, really. I don't bite my nails.) the results are in!  I was nervous as Crossbreed and Magnus and Malm -- books I had no idea how to write -- pushed to the top.  Then there was a three-way-tie between Magnus, James Herriot in Space, and A Thousand Sorrows.  In the last moments, a clear winner appeared.

So, without further ado, the winner is...
Yay, A Thousand Sorrows!  I'm thrilled that book won because I already wrote 85,000 words of it back in the nineties.  Yeah, I'm cheating.  National Novel Writing Month has strict rules.  You have to be done by the end of November.  You can't have pre-written anything.

Yeah, fuck the rules.

In any case, I still have a lot of work to do on the book before it's ready to be put out.  I still have to do the "Four Rs":
  • Reread: Other than finding a sample to post here, I haven't looked at this book since 1997.
  • Research: I have a couple books on living underground I should read. 
  • Rework: The prose kinda sucks.
  • Rename: Both main characters' names are "Matthew."  Someone told me it was a little narcissistic to name the two heroes of your novel after yourself.  Obviously, they don't know how wonderful I am.

Some acknowledgements are in order. 

First, I'd like to thank my wife who, although she didn't read the excerpts, cast the deciding vote after I begged her.

 Second, I'd like to thank me, because I voted as well. My vote for "Anything but Crossbreed," is similar to my past votes in elections for "anyone but a Republican"; I guess that's just how I vote for things. That reminds me; I'm voting for "anything for meatloaf" at dinner tonight.

Third, I'd like to thank everyone who voted, all ten of you. I know it wasn't easy to slog through thousands of words of fiction to pick the one you liked the most.  For those of you who didn't get their favorite novel chosen: stay strong.  A Thousand Sorrows will probably only take me a year to finish, so there's a good chance you'll get another shot in November 2013.  I plan on putting up five new samples, including one from a new novel (I'm thinking something Arthurian).

See you in November!

2 comments:

RF said...

I shared your novel samples with a friend. Both of us really enjoyed your writing.
I was wondering, are you on Wattpad by any chance?

Matthew Kagle said...

Thanks!

No, I'm currently on nowhere but here.