Wednesday, July 11, 2012

San Francisco Guilt Trip 2012

My parents split their time between coasts.  While they're away, I make them a picture of San Francisco.  Partly, I make the picture as a way of thanking them for all their help when they're in town.  Mostly, I'm trying to make them feel guilty for leaving.
This year, I decided to skip on the usual paintings of landmarks and try something different.  I did the Transamerica Pyramid (which I keep calling "The Space Needle" for some reason), but I colored the drawing with quotes about San Francisco. 

To make it, I found a list of quotes online and edited them.  Then I wrote them out on graph paper.   I taped the text to a new paper and placed them on my laptop, which was displaying an image of the Space Needle (Transamerica Pyramid!).  I rewrote all the words in different colored pens and, realizing you couldn't see what the picture was supposed to be, drew the Transamerica Needle on top in pencil.

Next time, I'll just do watercolor.

The quotes are:
 If I go to heaven, I’ll look around and say “It ain’t bad, but it ain’t San Francisco.” -Herb Caen

 San Francisco has only one drawback; ’tis hard to leave. -Rudyard Kipling
 If you’re alive, you can’t be bored in San Francisco. If you’re not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life. -William
 San Francisco is 49 square miles surrounded by reality. -Paul Kantner
 Leaving San Francisco is like saying goodbye to an old sweetheart. You want to linger as long as possible. -Walter Kronkite
 I have never seen the hospitality of San Francisco equaled anywhere in the world. -Conrad Hilton
 It’s a good thing the early settlers landed on the East Coast; if they’d landed in San Francisco, the rest of the country would still be uninhabited. -Herbert Mye
 Every man should be allowed to love two cities, his own and San Francisco. -Gene Fowler
No city invites the heart to come to life as San Francisco does. -William Saroyan (oops, did I do Saroyan twice?)
 There is more grace per square foot in San Francisco than any place on earth! -Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
 San Francisco is Beautiful People wearing a bracelet of bridges. -Hal Lipset
 Now there’s a grown-up swinging town. -Frank Sinatra
 Two days in this city is worth two months in New York. -Robert Menzies
 It is like London and Paris stacked on top of each other. –Twiggy
 San Francisco is poetry. Even the hills rhyme. -Pat Montandon
 If I am elected, I’ll move the White House to San Francisco. -Robert Kennedy
 San Francisco is a city where people are never more abroad than when they are at home. -Benjamin F. Taylor
 If everyone acted as the San Franciscans did, there would be hope for settlement of the world’s difficulties. -Frol Zozlov
Your child and your grandchildren live in San Francisco and they miss you when you are gone –Matthew

1 comment:

Mark CMG said...

My mother loved that city. I visited a bit while I was living in Berkeley/Oakland for a while in the Eighties. Quite a treat.