Monday, June 25, 2012

Harry Potter vs. Percy Jackson

My children have ben listening to the book on CD of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.  There was some confusion over what the differences between this novel and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, if you're a loser who doesn't know what the philosopher's stone is).  I compiled a handy chart.

Character name
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
Thing they’re searching for
Philosopher’s Stone
Lightning Thief
Parent(s) thought killed in a
Car accident
Boat accident
Parent(s) secretly was/were
God of the sea
Adopted by
Mean relatives
Mean stepfather
Goes to an
Unpleasant school
Unpleasant boarding school
Bullied by
Cousin’s friends
Finds out he’s a
Goes to a
Magic school
Magic summer camp
Best friend #1
Smart girl
Smart girl
Best friend #2
Bumbling boy
Bumbling goat boy
Magic item #1
Invisibility cloak
Invisibility hat
Magic item #2
Flying broom
Flying shoes
To save world, must pass
Three-headed dog
Three-headed dog
Bad guy’s patsy
Nice, innocent teacher
Nice, innocent kid
Bad guy
Bad Guy’s power
Mind control
Mind control
Bad Guy dismembered for
In the end, main character
Scares cousin
Murders stepfather
Crappy film version by
Chris Columbus
Chris Columbus

See, the're completely different books except for, you know, the part between the covers.


D1R said...

I'm a loser who doesn't know who Percy Jackson is.
Please try to be all inclusive in the future.
Your fav uncle (hahaha)

Matthew Kagle said...

I mentioned the title. I mentioned it was a novel. I mentioned all the major plot points.
If there was only some way to search for those things on some kind of computer network for more information...

D1R said...

But you mentioned losers who might not know about the philosopher's stone. What about other wanna be losers?

Try harder in the future. I know you have it in you.

PS; My etch a sketch keeps rebooting. I can't get a connection to the Intertubes.

Matthew Kagle said...

I do have it in me. I really should see a surgeon about that.