Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Officer and a Gentleman

Near the end of the film "An Officer and a Gentleman" the cadets chant as they run:
I don't know but it's been said,
Air Force wings are made of lead.
I don't know but I've been told,
Navy wings are made of gold.
That scene was exactly what I expected out of military training: a lot of running and singing followed by getting the crap kicked out of me by Louis Gossett Jr.  I planned on joining the military as a pilot, and wanted to expand the chant to include more branches of the armed forces.  Here's my additions:
Someone told me in the gymnasium,
Army wings are made of germanium.

My mom said while serving me cheese,
Coast Guard wings are made of manganese.

Someone sang this in a song,
Marine wings are made of krypton.

I'm out of forces; ain't that a sin?
NASA wings are made of tin.
Yeah, it's probably best that I didn't join the military.  I would have had the crap kicked out of me by more than just Mr. Gossett Jr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C130 rollin down the strip,
Hit a rock and did flip.
64 Rangers trapped inside
64 Rangers Kentucky fried

As infantry scout Vonnegut noted, So it goes.

Or, if you prefer an alternate rendition of Winter Wonderland:

Through the hills, I'm a-walking
Through the jungle, I'm a stalkin
Full moon tonight, it's a fuckin' delight,
Walking through a sniper's wonderland.

In the village I hear a baby cryin
So I stop to chamber another round
I shoot the baby's head his brains go flyin
I laugh as he lay twitchin' on the ground
Ho, ho.

Refrain.