Monday, April 30, 2012

When I Feel Uncomfortable

This morning, I was sitting in my dentist's office and having my cleaning when the hygienist said "Let me know when you feel uncomfortable."  Of course, even if she was pulling my teeth out with white-hot pincers, I would never admit discomfort.  I'm just that macho.
However, it got me thinking.  When did I start feeling uncomfortable?
  • Was it when she stuck waxed string between my teeth and yanked it back and forth?
  • Was it when she used a vibrating tool to polish my teeth, making them itch?
  • Was it when she tilted my chair back and shone a light in my eyes like I was a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay?
  • Was it when she poked my gums with a metal shiv, trying to see if I would bleed?
  • Was it when she scraped the calculus (or was it trigonometry?) off my teeth with a spinning, metal tool?
I thought back to the first moment I felt discomfort and told her.
"I started feeling uncomfortable when you called to remind me I had a dental appointment."

No comments: