Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Loyalty


I am a living being.

I am a human being.

I am an American.


All of the above statements are true and, here’s the part I want to talk about, in order of importance.  If there’s ever any time I have to decide where my loyalties lie, I have to remember the order of importance I listed above.

This sentiment has helped me make some unpopular choices.  I will sometimes put foreigners over Americans.  I will sometimes put animals ahead of people.  It’s all a question of who has the biggest need.

It’s easy to get caught up in nationalism.  It’s easy to say “Screw the dying in Darfur.  Let the rhinos go extinct.”  It’s easy to put nationalism over humanity or economics over preservation.  Just remember, someday someone else might do it to you.

You are a living being.

You are a human being.

You are a citizen of your country.

Never get that order mixed up.

No comments: