Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Watching Isn't the Same as Doing


Following up on yesterday’s post on Mars Needs Moms…

Near the end of the movie (“near the end,” by the way, is English for “spoiler alert”), one of the main characters ends up in a relationship with a Martian woman.  I was already unhappy with the movie, so the additional “ewwww” at the end barely registered on my radar.  However, I began thinking about it a few days later.
Aren't they a cute couple?
Excuse me a moment as I digress.
You may have guessed, this is a scene from a VIDEO GAME.
I’ve never believed that playing violent video games or watching violent movies or television caused people to be more violent.  I don’t even think it desensitizes you to real-world violence.  Why?  Because real-world violence is completely different.  I don’t care how many horror movies you see, when you attend a bris for the first time, guys are still going to freak out and cross their legs.
I speak from personal experience.
If you need statistical evidence, then look at this chart I love posting.  It shows the violent crime rate over the last few decades.  When you look at this chart, remember that videogames have exploded in popularity over this same period, going from a fringe hobby to one of the biggest entertainment industries.
Sure, correlation isn’t the same as causation, but it has to count for SOMEthing.
So, back to Mars Needs Moms.

If watching or reading or playing something makes you more inclined to do what’s shown in it, then Mars Needs Moms would make children want to have sex with aliens.

Okay, not that many children, but Mars Needs Moms isn’t the first time interspecies relationships have been shown in children’s media.

What about The Little Mermaid?
"Why, yes, I like redheads with... scales."
What about Harry Potter?
Couple on the left is werewolf and monster, couple in the middle is werewolf and shapeshifter.  Totally wholesome.
What about The Lord of the Rings?
In the defense of Tolkein, I'm not sure Viggo Mortensen is human.
What about Fantasia?
Wonder what their kids look like.
What about Artemis Fowl or Batman or Green Lantern or The Chronicles of Narnia?

If reading these books, watching these movies, really affected children, then why aren’t we seeing a huge explosion of bestiality?
"I like guys with big ears."
It just doesn’t seem true to me.  I can understand why people want reading a book to change the way people behave.  If it doesn’t, then what’s the point of giving kids books with upright heroes being moral and noble.  What’s the point in giving them The Bible?
"Drink up, daddy!"
On second thought, maybe you should keep that last one away from the kids…

No comments: