Thursday, August 18, 2011

WKRP

Now that my numbers have dropped off again, since John Wick is no longer linking to me, I have realized I have to do two things to keep people coming to my blog:
  1. Create a new pen name: Juan Jick.
  2. Reference obscure parts of our culture for which there is a rabid fan base.
I'm having trouble with #2, because I never really enjoyed the terrible things most people like.  I thought the Power Rangers were stupid.  I hated the Matrix movies.  I was too old for Pokemon.  I... Well, that's pretty much all that's left that hasn't already been rehashed by Hollywood.  The only thing I have left is, as you can see from the title, WKRP in Cincinnati.

If you haven't seen the show, it was a great sitcom about a failing radio station trying to become successful again.  However, what really got me to come back to watch it every week was the end titles.  I couldn't figure them out and, in the days before VCRs, I had to watch the show over and over again trying to "get it."  People are still trying to figure them out:


Eventually, I got hooked.  The made some good points about censorship and culture.  It was also very funny.  There was one episode where, as a marketing gimmick, the station's runners try giving away live turkeys at Thanksgiving by throwing them out of a helicopter.  They thought turkeys could fly.


Eventually, the turkeys turn on them and attack, but the damage had been done.  Oh yes, it's time once again for another edition of the DBIM!  For my new Wick groupies, DBIM stands for Dead Birds in Movies.  Every week I detail another instance where someone kills a bird in movies, television, books, etc.  I found that people only put birds into popular entertainment to kill them, and it bothers me, so I'm cataloguing it here.

Title: WKRP in Cincinnati (Episode 7):Turkeys Away
Severity: 2 (uncertain number, done for comedy, one mitigating factor and, let's face it, it was funny)
Genre: Television
Date: 1978
Description: As part of a Thanksgiving promotion, the head of the radio station drops live turkeys from a helicopter.
Mitigating Factors: The turkeys stage a counterattack, visibly injuring two characters.
Aggravating Factors: None.

No comments: