Friday, August 5, 2011

Destroyed

I'm tired.  It's late.  I can't think of anything funny to say.

Here's something I've been thinking about lately, though: the word "destroyed."  What's up with people using that word in movies and television?  People use "destroyed" as if it is synonymous with "killed." 
Bad Guy, shooting at good guy: "I will destroy you!"

Heroic Captain, horrified at mass deaths caused by Bad Guy: "You destroyed them!"

Me, giving up: "You destroyed my patience for this show."


Do you think it has something to do with protecting children from the word "kill?"  Whatever the reason, the practice is pretty absurd.  Nobody talks like that in real life, although it would really make a change in coverage of executions:

Reporter: "After being convicted of the destruction of six people in a destroying spree in a local mall, destroyer Rudolph Newverman of Florida was destroyed this evening.  The governor refused to grant a last minute stay of destruction, and Newverman was hung by the neck until destroyed.  His destroyed body will be laid to rest on Sunday."

2 comments:

David Seaman said...

Actually I use the word destroyed all the time. I just use it in a sense that should be censored ;)

M. A. Kagle said...

I'm guessing that you don't get to destroy people after you use that word.