Monday, May 23, 2011

Maker Faire Report

Q: What’s the difference between a “fair” and a “faire?”
A: About $25 plus parking.

So I took the kid to Maker Faire over the weekend.  In between the thirty seconds my son let me talk to friends, we saw some rather impressive things.  Highlights of the conference:

Astromech.net. People who make their own, disturbingly accurate, R2D2s.
"These aren't the droids we're looking for  These also aren't the droids we're looking for..."
This forest of soft, lighted tree thingies that tried to digest my son.
"Come in, come in.  Nothing bad will happen to you..."

Light-up, animated sharks that drove around in the dark and scared the bejeezus out of small children.
The tails wave, the gills breathe, and the mouth chomps.  In the dark they were pretty darned cool.

Angry Birds played on an ENORMOUS touch screen.
You can almost smell the droppings.

The world’s largest Beyblade made out of a wooden dowel, cork, hand mixer, and a pizza pan.
After he let go, it flew into the air and decapitated a robot made by high school students.

Remote control Lego trains.
Okay, not really a highlight, but my younger son couldn't come and he loves trains, so I took a picture.
Also:
Now, with 100% fewer fossil fuels!
Meeting the guy who makes ScienceWiz home kits.  When I told him we loved his kits, but couldn’t find coal for the Energy kit, he promptly handed me a little baggy of coal.  He said the Post Office wouldn’t let him put any in the box because coal turns out to be toxic.
Looks so much easier on XBOX.
Trying to teach my son how to pick a lock and failing.  I guess you lose a skill if you don’t use it regularly.

I don't think we should cancel the shuttle program.
Seeing the tree house some guy made that is also a working rocket with attitude jets.
Ow.  Ow.  Ow.
Take home, make-your-own soap kits.  The woman at the booth assured me nothing out of Fight Club would happen to my children.

Overall, well-worth the trip.  Maybe we’ll do it again next year!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Maria was there on Sunday. I'm sorry you missed one another.