Thursday, March 24, 2011

If I could Draw: Word World

My son has a set of ten words every week he has to learn how to spell.  He can't just practice spelling the words, though.  Oh no, he has to do funny things with the words like make them out of raw meatloaf or write them on people's backs with a carving knife.  Twice a week, we have to come up with some goofy thing to do with the words.  Lately, we just have him paint them in watercolor.

While he's doing his watercoloring, I usually do some, too, just to keep him company.  This week, I let him throw out words for me to work on.  Here's what I ended up with:

It makes sense if you've seen Word World.
I used to always hate watercolor in school.  Watercolors always ran off the page and felt like a cheap alternative to tempura.   Now I find I like it, in part because I use good paper.  Note to art teachers: shell out money for the good paper; it's much nicer to work with.

No comments: