Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What Did I Say?

There is a moment from High School that, to this day, I don't get.  Okay, so I don't get most of High School.  (If you're all going to play video games and watch science fiction/fantasy movies, what was the point of picking on me for doing it?)  However, one moment stands out more than others.

Our teacher had a guest one day, a recruiter from a technical college whose name I won't mention to protect the guilty.  As part of her spiel, she showed us a movie about the importance of going to college that was "made by high school students like you!"

The next day our teacher asked us what we thought.  Several students pointed out that the video seemed awfully slick to have been made by college students.  The teacher agreed and mentioned that she had cornered the recruiter after the film and she had admitted that it hadn't so much been made by "high school students like us" but that they had been used as "consultants."  The teacher then went on to mention several other things she had noticed the recruiter do that she didn't like. 

I raised my hand and asked "So why did you invite her?"

Big laugh from the class.  Really big laugh.

Afterwards, I approached one of the other students and asked her why it was funny and she couldn't answer.  To this day, I still don't know and it bugs me.

No comments: