Monday, September 13, 2010

The Battlestar Galactica Ending

I didn’t watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot when it was broadcast, but everyone raved about it so much that I have been watching the DVDs over the past year. I like Ron Moore (more on that below), but man did he create a depressing show. Still, it held my interest for four seasons. Then, I got to the ending.

I don’t usually rant about such things, but I’ve just had it with all the bad endings to good show. I can handle the occasional “They’ve been dead all along” ending, but I really wanted to see where BSG was going. I’ve been watching the DVDs and avoiding the spoilers (there are several below, by the way), and I really hoped to get more than what I got.

My specific beefs:

1. They give up all their technology
I can sorta get that several thousand people who have been cooped up for years in a ship would want to start over, but give up all their technology? All of it? Really? All of them were good with that?

Apollo must have given one hell of a speech. “Hey, so, we want a fresh start, so we’re giving up all our technology. There are still Cylons out there, so they may come back, and we’d have no way of fighting them off. Of course, with no medicine, a good percentage of women are going to die in childbirth and your children... Well, lets just say they won’t live past their twenties. Who is with me? So say we all?”

Come on, Ron, at least tell us they ditched the technology to hide from the Cylons or SOMEthing.

2. That whole angels thing
Wait, all those visions Baltar had were real? Seriously? All those strange things that happened in the show that we expected to be explained were just done by God? Ooooookay. I guess the “Ship of Lights” was rebooted, too, but in an irritating way.

3. Father Shmather
As a father, this one got me more than the other two I listed above. Both Admiral Adama and Chief Tyrol have children. Both have difficult, but loving relationships with their children. Both decide to leave those children to spend the rest of their lives completely alone. Let me say that again. Both fathers decide they’d rather live in isolation and never know if their children are alive or dead. Guess that explains why our society evolved with such “daddy issues.”

I like Ron Moore’s writing a lot. His work is poignant in a non-smarmy way, which is rare for a modern writer. Still, I think he could have done better.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Yeah, that's about what I felt when I watched it too.