Thursday, June 11, 2009

More fun with Freecycle

I am trying to get rid of my old TV. Since my rebar post was so popular (all both of you read it) I decided to go the same route with my television.

20” RCA ColorTrak television NOT HAUNTED

A long time ago, I received an old television set from my grandparents. It was small and got poor reception but it was all I needed as a grad student. Then, one night, I woke up to see the television flashing at me and making a “Bermp, bermp, bermp” noise. Turning it off didn’t stop the “bermping.” It was only when I finally unplugged the television that it stopped, for a while. The “bermping events” happened several times over the years and I eventually reached the only logical conclusion: the television was haunted. Of course, the only people who had owned the television before me were still alive, so maybe it was aliens instead of ghosts. Or it had indigestion. Ooh! Maybe mermaids were warning me about the melting icecaps!

In any case, this isn’t that television.

This is a large stereo television I got at an estate auction. It was owned by people who lived in the middle of nowhere in Illinois. I actually bid on a smaller television but lost to an aggressive bidder. Then I bid on this one and got it easily. I think the guy who was stuck with the smaller television probably felt like an idiot. It’s one of my more fond memories.

In spite of the fact I got this television from a dead couple, it isn’t haunted. It never “bermped” or dragged my children into a nether world, or caused me any trouble. Well, it is poorly balanced and hard for one person to carry, but I doubt that has any supernatural cause. In any case, it works fine, but it isn’t compatible with the new digital standard, so I would like to find it a good home. I get emotional about my television that way.

Your television. Sorry. I get emotional about YOUR television. Your television that used to be my television.

*sniff*

No comments: