Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why I'm Voting Ulster Unionist This Year

I was at a playdate yesterday. Normally, this playdate is held by a nanny with a definite British accent. She was away, however, and her employer (ie. the father) was running the playdate. As it turns out he's a very prominent politician in England, but here he was just another guy holding a playdate: charming but nervous.

At one point he said he didn't really know how the nanny ran the playdate and what she did at them.

"She usually gives us all gold coins," I said.

He looked at me for a moment, taking in the idea, the entire room silent.

"She does?" a woman on the other side of the room finally asked.

"SHHHHHHH!!!!" I practically screamed. (Have you ever tried screaming a shush? It's not easy.) "I almost got him to give us all gold coins!"

It's nice to know I can pull stuff like that off with a straight face.

No comments: